Ballet Our Experiences...

tessajanuary posted on Feb 05, 2008 at 07:14AM
Let's share our stories! What got you interested in ballet? Most memorable performances you've seen? Do you take classes or are you just an audience member? Funny or interesting anecdotes? Post anything you want to share or discuss with your fellow ballet fans!

Ballet 3 risposte

Click here to write a response...
più di un anno fa tessajanuary said…
Briefly, my story: I've taken ballet since I was 5 at a pre-professional ballet school. (See link for more). I have participated in a number of performances both with my ballet school and the professional company attached to it. As of 2007-2008, I'm a senior in high school, and I plan to go to college next year instead of pursuing a professional career in ballet any longer.

I've seen a number of great performances. A couple that stand out in my memory are seeing ABT (American Ballet Theatre) do both "Swan Lake" and MacMillan's "Romeo and Juliet". The former I saw about 5 years ago, the latter in summer 2007. Both performances were amazing and incredably moving. Another highlight was going to the Bolshoi Ballet's performance of "Swan Lake" on one of their US tours. My family drove 3 hours to attend the performance, but it was definitely worth it. Another performance I remember vividly was the first time I ever saw Balanchine's "Serenade". From the moment the curtain rose on those 17 girls in white tutus standing completely still with their hands shading "the sun", I was mesmerized. To this day, it's still one of my absolutely favorite ballets. Seeing good ballet is one of my favorite things in the whole world.

These past two years, I have been getting more and more disenchanted with the ballet world -- I've seen what life is like in professional ballet, and I don't like much of what I see. I anticipate that while I will continue on with dance after this year, it won't be in a professional atmosphere. Despite this, I fully intend to continue supporting and attending ballet performances.

Ok, now that I've spilled my guts - anyone else want to share?
last edited più di un anno fa
più di un anno fa claire-aka-bob said…
i just take classes as i have done since i was 2
i do an annual show every year with one or two ballet dances in it.
I've been on pointe 3 years and i am on my second pair
I've seen Swan Lake and The Nutcracker a few times now because they are my fave's and some others but i cant think of the names off the top of my head!
I have never preformed in a full ballet but i hope to someday (i'm only 13)
erm okay i think thats it for now
maby i will update this when i am famous but till then this will do!
più di un anno fa Andolion said…
I have taken classes since I was 4.
We do three shows every year one in the spring,summer,and winter.
I have been on pointe for 3 years and am on my 9th pair of pointe shoes(I finally decided to get hard shank)
I have seen the Nutcracker many times, Swan Lake, Cinderella, and am going to see Giselle in January.
I have performed in the Nutcracker, A Christmas Carol, and The Lion the Witch, and the Wardrobe(I know the last two are not really famous ones but I decided to add them anyway)
I love to dance
I choreographed some of my own dances
Beauty and the Beast is the new Anastasia:)
That's all:)