Citazioni Daily Quote

Jonapello23 posted on Nov 27, 2008 at 01:33AM
Quotes are awesome, and I'd like to give everyone a different quote every day that means something to me. I'll try to stay faithful to this, but I might miss a few days. Here's numero uno--

"How wonderful it is to do nothing, and then rest afterward." Spanish Proverb

Feel free to give feedback or add quotes of your own. Enjoy-

Citazioni 489 risposte

Click here to write a response...

Showing Replies 401-450 of 489

più di un anno fa life_rehab said…
Happiness is an imaginary condition, formerly attributed by the living to the dead, now usually attributed by adults to children, and by children to adults.

Thomas Szasz
"You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world. (...)
You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."

from Fight Club, movie inspired from Chuck Palahniuk's book
last edited più di un anno fa
più di un anno fa Delilah_Scruggs said…
A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman's birthday but never remembers her age.

Robert Frost
più di un anno fa mooimafish17 said…
That we can think of no mechanism for astrology is relevant but unconvincing. No mechanism was known, for example, for continental drift when it was proposed by Wegener. Nevertheless, we see that Wegener was right, and those who objected on the grounds of unavailable mechanism were wrong.

CARL SAGAN (1934-96)
There is, indeed, nothing more annoying than to be, for instance, wealthy, of good family, nice-looking, fairly intelligent, and even good-natured, and yet to have no talents, no special faculty, no peculiarity even, not one idea of one's own, to be precisely "like other people."

Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Idiot
"Sed fugit interea fugit irreparabile tempus, singula dum capti circumvectamur amore." Roman poet Virgil

English translation, "But meanwhile it flees: time flees irretrievably, while we wander around, prisoners of our love of detail."
più di un anno fa Delilah_Scruggs said…
Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success.

Dale Carnegie
più di un anno fa meXico said…
A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.

Albert Einstein
"I have known many good people who believed in God. I have known many good people who did not believe in God. But I have never known a human being who was good who did not believe in people."

- John Lovejoy Elliott
We used to think that if we knew one, we knew two, because one and one are two. We are finding that we must learn a great deal more about 'and.'

SIR ARTHUR EDDINGTON (1882-1944)
The Parthenon is really only a farmyard over which someone put a roof; colonnades and sculptures were added because there were people in Athens who happened to be working and wanted to express themselves.

PABLO PICASSO (1881-1973)
"Warning: If you are reading this, then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned."

From Fight Club
"And lo, the beast looked upon the face of beauty, and beauty stayed his hand. And from that day forward, he was as one dead."

According to the original King Kong, that quote is an old Arabic proverb. I rather suspect it was just a creation of screenwriters Merian C. Cooper, Edgar Wallace, James Ashmore Creelman and Ruth Rose.
Diogenes Laertius has recorded for us the Greek philosopher, Epicurus's thoughts on death. It is irrational to fear an event, if when that event occurs, we are not in existence. And, since when death is, we are not, and when we are, death is not, then it's irrational to fear death. One might just as well, Epicurus argued, fear birth.

from Leaves of Grass(the movie)
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

Galileo Galilei
"You don't really understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around and why his parents will always wave back."

William D. Tammeus
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

JOSEPH STALIN (1879-1953)
Even at our birth, death does but stand aside a little. And every day he looks towards us and muses somewhat to himself whether that day or the next he will draw nigh.

Robert Bolt
più di un anno fa lydianm said…
All things are difficult before they are easy.

Thomas Fuller
“Be still when you have nothing to say; when genuine passion moves you, say what you've got to say, and say it hot.”

D.H. Lawrence
I always felt that acting was an escape, like having the secret key to every door and permission to go into any realm and soak it up. I enjoy that free pass.

Edward Norton
"What we must have are those books that come on us like ill fortune, like the death of one we love better than ourselves, like suicide. A book must be an ice axe to break the sea frozen inside us."

Franz Kafka
Things have been tough lately for dreamers. They say dreaming's dead, that no one does it anymore. It's not dead. It's just that it's been forgotten. Removed from our language. Nobody teaches it, so no one knows it exists. The dreamer is banished to obscurity. I'm trying to change all that, and I hope you are too. By dreaming every day. Dreaming with our hands and dreaming with our minds. Our planet is facing the greatest problems it's ever faced. Ever. So whatever you do, don't be bored. This is absolutely the most exciting time we could have possibly hoped to be alive. And things are just starting.

from the movie Waking Life
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do."

Voltaire
All the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill the history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill at dancing.

MOLIERE
(on Photography:)"This moment will not be here again. These people will not be here. So there's a weight to it."

John Dolan
"You need not leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. You need not even listen, simply wait, just learn to become quiet, and still, and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked. It has no choice; it will roll in ecstasy at your feet."

Kafka, "Senses"
I write so the endangered thoughts roaming naked and vulnerable through the misty jungles of my mind aren't slain by the guns of practical living.

Kim Krizan
Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it.

Søren Kierkegaard
più di un anno fa ryans_love said…
"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him."
---Mark Twain
"Anything you can do I can do backwards and in high heels"- Alan Shore; Boston Legal
The question is not "To be or not to be," it is what we should be until we are not.

Søren Kierkegaard
That best portion of a good man's life: his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.

William Wordsworth
The aim of every artist is to arrest motion, which is life, by artificial means and hold it fixed so that a hundred years later, when a stranger looks at it, it moves again since it is life. Since man is mortal, the only immortality possible for him is to leave something behind him that is immortal since it will always move. This is the artist's way of scribbling "Kilroy was here" on the wall of the final and irrevocable oblivion through which he must someday pass.

William Faulkner
più di un anno fa fatoshleo said…
"and yet to say the truth, reason and love keep little company together nowadays."
_William shakespear
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act.

Barbara Hall
You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

Albert Camus
Some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.

Gilda Radner
più di un anno fa PiperLunaPotter said…
heart
“Kilometers are shorter than miles. Save gas, take your next trip in kilometers.”
-George Carlin

"It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all – in which case, you fail by default."
-JK Rowling
He who knows best knows how little he knows.

Thomas Jefferson
più di un anno fa vanillaicecream said…
Facebook is like a fridge. When you're bored you keep opening and closing it every few minutes to see if there's anything good in it.
:P
Soo....if the world really does end in 2012...then that means that i've wasted my ENTIRE LIFE in school....
If I have curves, I'm fat... If I wear makeup, I'm fake... If I dress up, I'm a Show off... If I say what I think, I'm a bitch,. If i say nothing i have "attitude problem", If I cry sometimes, I'm a drama queen.. If I have guy friends, I'm Fast... If I stand up for myself, I'm mouthy. It's like you can't do anything nowadays without being labeled.. So what just be YOURSELF!
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

Jimi Hendrix
Think like a man of action, and act like a man of thought.

and

Always forgive your enemies - Nothing annoys them so much.
Live all you can --- it's a mistake not to. It doesn't so much matter what you do in particular, so long as you have your life. If you haven't had that, what have you had?

Henry James
Life is not lost by dying; life is lost minute by minute, day by dragging day, in all the thousand small uncaring ways.

Stephen Vincent Benet

Don’t let your victories go to your head, or your failures go to your heart.
Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies. -Mother Teresa
big smile
An optimist is a person who sees a green light everywhere, while the pessimist sees only the red stoplight…The truly wise person is colorblind.

Albert Schweitzer