Sarah Palin Why grammar is important, as well as why Sarah Palin should use it.

belle_fille posted on Aug 04, 2009 at 08:12PM
As many people have noticed, I have a severe intolerance for stupidity, ignorance, and bad grammar. Most people comment on my critiques of people's grammar. So, while reading a magazine this morning, I stumbled across a quote that made me *facepalm*. The quote is as follows:

"It is as throughout all Alaska that big wild good life teeming along the road that is north to the future. That is what we get to see every day. Now what the rest of America gets to see along with us is in this last frontier there is hope and opportunity and there is country pride."

Sarah Palin, you provide epic lulz. This monstrosity that makes English-speakers ashamed to speak the same language was from her final speech. So this got me thinking: I should post MORE examples of famous grammar flubs. Most of these are from Palin's speech, (the link is at the end of the compilation) as her grammar flub-fest was the most recent example. And also because I happen to be reading it right now.

The Compilation

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Robert McCloskey, U.S. State department spokesperson

"Put food on your family!" - George W. Bush

"Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things." - Dan Quayle (AHEM. MEYER. PAY ATTENTION.)

"I think that [the film] Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it’s true lightness.” - Alicia Silverstone

“I made a wrong mistake” -Yogi Berra

But there was something different also, something for which, while her check received the prodigious kiss, she had her opportunity – the slight of the others, who, having risen from their cards to join the absent members of their party, had reached the open door at the end of the room and stopped short, evidently, in presence of the demonstration that awaited them. -Henry James

The rugged rugged hardy people that live up here and some of the most patriotic people whom you will ever know live here, and one thing that you are known for is your steadfast support of our military community up here and I thank you for that and thank you United States military for protecting the greatest nation on Earth. - Sarah Palin (Oh, Sarah. The lulz you provide <3 )

That concludes the compilation, for now at least. I’ll enter more as time goes on.

If you can’t see by now that grammar is important, I can’t help you. Grammar makes a difference in the way people perceive intentions, a difference in the way people understand you, and can sometimes make the difference between getting that high-paying job and not. This is why I get so infuriated when people slip up on a regular basis, and disregard it. (Note: I don’t care if you screw up if English is not your native language. But I can tell.) Because the horrible grammar that I’ve read leads to stupid errors (see above).

And I think we can all agree, those quotes are ridiculous.

Resources
Palin speech: link
Eats, Shites & Leaves by A. Parody.

Also: Here is a website that has a bunch of stupid stuff. I haven’t looked through it, but it looks like it’s a good site. link

(Oh, I also found this quote: Grammar is the logic of speech, even as logic is the grammar of reason. -Richard C. Trench

I just had to keep it here. It’s amazing :D )

I’ll probably do a series on how to use grammar. Keep your eyes open.

Sarah Palin No risposte