All right. Ground rules for this topic:
1. Yes, we're serious. You lay off our religion and we'll lay off yours.
2. Just as there are many denominations of Christianity, there can be several denominations of the Church of Erik. But we're all about the same thing, so let's respect how we all worship our Angel.
3. It'd be really awesome if you had a grasp of some other religions for cohesive reasons. If you know how other religions function it will be easier to contribute here. If you aren't really good with theology, at least be polite to people who do study it.
4. Nobody is 'in charge'. If anyone would like to have a formal worship service or anything like that we'll work out the details on an individual basis.
5. Erik is the central figure here. If you want to start a chapter specifically for Raoul or Christine, do it someplace else.
All right. All that aside I think the first order of business should be holidays! Remember all the great religions of the past have usurped other religion's holidays so don't have any hesitations about covering up Christmas or Passover with something Phantomy. But let's at least try to have some reasoning behind it. Nothing's more embarrassing than having it pointed out to you that your saviour was actually born in the spring when you have a giant celebration in midwinter for it. Isn't that right, Christians?
At any rate I would suggest the following:
Sept 23-Jan 10. This is the period during which the novel first ran in serial form. I'd say this would be the kind of thing that would equate to something like Lent. It's there, and some really hardcore people still observe it, but most of the religion probably will not do more than make a nodding gesture toward it. I would suggest Sept 23 as the major focus of this, as it kicks the whole thing off. And this is the ORIGINAL publication here, so it is kind of important.
Shrovetide, or the 3 days before Mardi Gras. This is when the Bal Masque was held. Everyone else will be gearing up for Mardi Gras, so we could all probably get away with having an epic 3 day masked feast in honour of this. The idol of the holiday (yeah, I'm pagan. We like idols and tools) would be the Red Death.
Obviously I'm fundamentalist. But by all means pick some holidays for the musical as well.