Dev Dev's Early life and career beginnings!

check-it-out13 posted on Aug 14, 2011 at 03:02PM
Dev was born in Tracy, California to Lisa, a real estate agent, and Riki Tailes, a painting contractor. Dev grew up in Manteca and is of Portuguese and Mexican descent. She has two younger sisters, Sierra Sol and Maezee Lua. At the age of four, she started swimming and was part of the U.S Olympic development program. She attended Brock Elliott elementary. She graduated from Sierra High School, where she was a member of a band and a choir. Soon, she attended San Joaquin Delta College, studying English and art history.

I decided to put up this song on MySpace. it was basically a “diss track” and I didn’t expect anything out of it. It was just to make me feel good like how music usually do but Niles [of the Cataracs] came across to my page and was really into my voice and they kind of got me into singing and opened up my eyes to business opportunities.

Dev on the start of her career

She made a cover of an Amy Winehouse song that she described as being "super-weird and super-different". She recorded the song off her MacBook and made it in response to her ex-boyfriend's new girlfriend, calling it a "diss track". It was later revealed that the song was "Blonde Trick". A friend of hers posted the song onto MySpace, and production team The Cataracs noticed it and contacted Dev. She dropped out of college during her freshman year to pursue her singing career. Six months later, Dev and The Cataracs' song "2Nite" began to gain exposure on the radio, the television channel MTVU and the Billboard Hot Dance Airplay chart. In 2009, Dev moved to Los Angeles to produce music with the Cataracs.

In 2010, the Cataracs produced "Like a G6" with Far East Movement and decided to use a verse from Dev's single "Booty Bounce" as the chorus.The two songs were made in the same summer, at the time where Dev and the Cataracs "were grinding it out in the studio pretty tough together," making a couple of "simplistic random tracks." "Like a G6", which features the Cataracs and Dev, was released in April 2010, and reached number one on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart. The song went on to sell over three million downloads in the US.

Dev No risposte