mitologia greca Dionysus, an imported god?

pertinax posted on Dec 03, 2008 at 09:03PM
Some say that Dionysus was not amongst the traditional Greek gods, but was imported from east. Obviously, he met with some resistance. Stories such as 'the Bacchae' of Euripides are clear examples that people denied to accept Dionysus as a god.
Have some more info regarding this theory? Any speculations or conjectures? If so, please answer.

mitologia greca 4 risposte

Click here to write a response...
più di un anno fa Juaniallermann2 said…
Almost all the myths talk about Dionysus as a foreign. A lot of greeks were sure his cult came from Antalya, but it could be also from Libya, Ethiopia or Arabia, he also could come from a magic country, maybe called Nysa, because the god's name means: "God of Nysa".
last edited più di un anno fa
più di un anno fa Merribelle said…
He wasn't really imported, he was sort of, absorbed, from a culture that the Greeks took over (I'm not exactly sure which culture though.) Even though he's not traditional, most people like him for what he stood for, drink, inebriation, parties, etc.

I learned about this on a trip to Greece :)
più di un anno fa Emily_is_COOl said…
Well, from what I know I am pretty sure he took Hestia's place on Olympus so there wouldn't be a war, so Hestia stepped down, so that is why she isn't one of the big Olympian gods/goddesses...

I think they "adopted" him, like: "later on Zues had a child...he became the god Dionysus. The end."
last edited più di un anno fa
più di un anno fa KatieWordweaver said…
did you guys know that Dionysus started out as a demi-god (son of Zeus)? But Hera killed his mom (no surprise there) and so Zeus sew him into his thigh and when he was ready to be born. whala! A god was born. But I will forever love him for giving Hestia a myth. How many of you can recall 3 myths of Hestia?